Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Kaffe Fassett Challenge

For this month's challenge, we used the NBQA fabric challenge. As part of their April 2012 quilt show, NBQA members were offered a fat quarter of a Kaffe Fassett fabric and use it in a quilt, art quilt or wearable. The requirement is that there is some recognizable fabric on the front of the piece.

Cathey: Kaffe Curves 
My piece was inspired by Louisa Smith. This is my second piece using her strata and curved piecing technique. I actually do not like to do curved piecing so I fuse, then topstitch the strata pieces to the whole cloth focus fabric pieces. I used ribbon along the stitching lines to emphasize the intersections and set off the curved strata sections. I also used some silks and my "ice dyed" fabrics in the piece.


Linda: Flowery Tote Bag
I like making things that are useful. I love the unusual design of this bag with the turned down pocket. It has lots of pockets inside and out.


Joan: Circles & Curves
I used bright colors inspired by the fabric, then placed circles of the focus fabric on the colors that I thought would make them "pop." I heavily quilted the piece with curved quilting, following the curved piecing and used accents of "bubble quilting" in some of the centers. In the blues, I used metallic thread for the quilting.



Melanie: There are many paths through the flowers
I loved the bright colors in the focus fabric and wanted to use some of my coordinating hand dyes, silks, satins, and even velvets. I also wanted to try a variety of piecing patterns in an eclectic assortment. I heavily quilted the piece using a variety of free motion patterns.




Marcia: House or Tent?
I used strip piecing to create strata, then cute and assembled the strata. The result looks sort of like 2 level house with an attic, or maybe a circus tent. I am still trying to decide on the name. I used some of my silks along with the focus fabrics and lots of others from my stash.



Pat: Kaffe Extended
I actually made 2 pieces. I was inspired by something I saw a while back. The idea is to cut a  a piece of the focus fabric, and extend the design into the rest of the piece through the quilting. This first piece is named "Ghost Flowers."



The second piece uses more precisely cut motifs from the fabric and building the design out from those pieces. This piece is "Window Boxes."

1 comment:

  1. I love all of your challenge pieces! You have quite a talented, diverse group. Marcia: I immediately thought of a circus tent before I read your post.

    ReplyDelete