I have several things to show because I missed a couple of meetings and re-made a couple of pieces.
This is my piece for the complementary colors challenge. I chose orange and blue. It includes many hand sewn embellishments.
Bird is the Word
This incorporates the music and paper challenges. The singing birds are hand stamped. Much of the content for this piece was inspired by my son.
Our House is a Very, Very, Very Fine House
This is another one inspired by music, "Our House is a Very, Very, Very Fine House...."
The centerpiece is a painted silk scarf. I added stamped letters, Angelina fiber around the fireplace, and lots of embellishments and hand stitching. The entire piece is covered with yellow tulle.
I Want My Planet Back
Another song. This one sung by the Techno Brothers. It actually glows in the dark. I added rings and hand stitching around the glow-in-the-dark stars. I spray painted the buttons before adding them. It even incorporates a little "string theory."
Dreaming of a Pink Marble Bathroom
This was an older piece that I tore apart and re-made with better workmanship. I started with some orphan blocks made by an unknown woman. I used stamps, pink spray paint and markers to transform it.
I am from Texas where there are many tornadoes. A friend of mine lost her newly purchased home in one of them. It is a tribute to her spirit and optimism that she re-built and when finished told us that she now had the pink marble bathroom she had always dreamed of.
This is another re-do. It commemorates my brother's funeral. He was a biker and his Harley "brothers" turned out in force for his funeral. The peppermint schnapps bottles along the bottom are a nod to the ones that were tossed back then thrown into his casket as they filed by.
I started with an angel panel, then over-dyed the blue CD fabric. I used glue to attach the CD (Stevie Ray Vaughn, "Double Trouble,"), Harley eagle, bullets, earrings and the Harley Bell. I added some pink glitter over the top then covered it all in organza to help hold it all together.
This first piece is a Zentangle snowflake I made for the SAQA tree at the New Britain Museum of American Art.
This is my unfinished piece. I started it many years ago in a class with Katie Pasquini Masopust. She is known for "Fractured Landscapes" using value differences to add light in interesting ways. I am glad it is finally finished!
I decided to re-interpret an older piece (the first one) of thread painted leaves. The second picture is my new leaves piece made with a Gelli print on ice dyed fabric. I used copper and gold metallic paints over leaf masks.
This is a fabric collage based on a photo. I started it a couple of years ago in a Pam Mostek class and have been working on it intermittently ever since. I think it is finally coming along.
I also finished a wedding quilt I have been trying to complete for my friends moving from Costa Rica to Colorado. I used colors that reminded me of Colorado.
This is an experimental piece of fabric. I started with black fabric and used Jacquard discharge paste through leaf stencils. Once the color was removed, I ice dyed that fabric. It created a beautiful almost batik effect.
This a piece of flowered fabric I had and really liked. I decided to showcase the gloxinia by using heavy beading and stitching embellishment. I framed it and it was on exhibit at a gardening show.
My newly finished piece started life as a watercolor quilt. The technique using tiny squares in a gradation of color to achieve a watercolor effect. I decided it would make a great background for added embellishment. I added yo yo's, ribbon, lace, button and other embellishments to add more interest.
Quiet Time I & II
This is a pair of Gelli prints I had for a while. I used heavy quilting to highlight the patterns, bound the pieces in silk and mounted them on painted canvas.
I started with a piece of fabric I clamped, discharged, and over-dyed in an Elin Noble class. I loved the orange "moons." I added a lot of linear lines stitched with a variety of threads.