Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Steam Punk

Our theme for this month was "Steam Punk." We really had fun with this one!

Shelia Rae: This is my take on steam punk, I even wrote a little haiku to go with it. "A tisket, a tasket, A basketful of gaskets, For my car has died; Time to buy, I created the background from an orphan block I was given. I used alcohol spray to transfer some color from the original basket motif then sprayed with it with glimmer spray. The sewn-on objects include a watch, actual gaskets and various other metal ephemera, There is Angelina film behind some of the open pieces.


Hope: Steam Punk Fish. I overdyed some industrial motif Tim Holtz fabric for the background. The mouth of the fish is a zipper. Gears, picture hangers, and a variety of other metal trinkets,make up the fish details.

Cathey: Victorian bustiers with a steam punk twist. I created the bustier from "pleather" with details of pearls and metallic items. The skirt is shabby, ratty tulle.  This something I would wear if I went to a steam punk event!

As my art quilt group buddies know, I have been studying at Rhode Island School of Design (RISD). One of the things I have been doing is designing fabric, Here is an example that I had printed on canvas at Spoonflower. 


Joan: I loved this challenge and made 3 pieces! I had several pieces of fabric I had rusted and thought it would made the perfect background for a steam punk piece. I used my printer to print images on the rusted fabric, I made 2 clocks. Similar but in different frames and in one I used metallic thread for the simple quilting lines. The third piece is in a double window frame. I printed gears on the rusted fabric.








Melanie: Steam Punk Guitar. I was trying to find some gears for this project. I asked my husband if he had an old watch I could take apart. He didn't but gave me these tuner parts from an old mandolin. I also sunprinted some fabric with small clock gears and stencils and used it for part of the background. 

Pat: Modern Steam Punk - Tools of the trade. I have been interested in string art for a while and wanted to use it in a quilted piece, Although steam punk is industrial/Victorian, what better embellishments to use but the tools of the trade in sewing/quilting. Steampunk can also be fairly dark so mine is more modern with lighter, brighter colors. 

The background is black kona cotton. Embellishments include buttons, mother-of-pearl belt buckle, binding clips, pastern tracer roller, and tape measure and rick rack for the binding. 


Marcia: Geared Clock. I just happened to have a big package of gears. I decided to make a steam punk clock. The background fabric is industrial in feeling - reminiscent of propellers or diamond plate. The strips are velvet. Chain surrounds the clock "face" and ribbon was used for the binding. 









No comments:

Post a Comment